10 October 2010

Sunday, I am grateful...


... for reminders, memories, and keepsakes of those who are no longer with us.

This is one of my favorite cardigans. It's not in style by any means. It's not necessarily ill-fitting but it doesn't exactly fit to my form either. It is very warm, the color is suits me, and it is made to last because it's "vintage". It is also my late grandmother's cardigan.

I miss my grandmother a lot. I think about her and dream about her a lot. She was kind, gentle, and had a sarcastic sense of humor. Her eyes were the color of this cardigan - a soft blue. She'd always let me cry it out when I was a kid when my mom said to stop my fussing. She just seemed like she was always on my side, and it still feels like it even though she is gone. I've been craving her soup lately - we'd call it "cloud soup" since it had these fluffy dumplings in it that looked like clouds to a child's eye. I regret not learning that recipe. On the bright side, she did give me some of her recipes - her perogies (which I have never made, not yet), her bread, her cinnamon buns, her depression-era apple cake. She was just an all around good lady. I miss her greatly and I am so very grateful that I have so many good memories and reminders of her. I wear this cardigan with love in my heart for her.

No comments: