02 October 2010

Saturday, I am grateful...


... for this book and learning about loneliness.

I find that it is so easy to admit certain feelings and so easy for those particular feelings to be understood by others. I can tell others when I feel anxious or sad, relaxed or happy very comfortably. The feeling of loneliness is a tough one to admit. When I have admitted it in the past, I have received blank stares or silence followed by a feeling of inner shame. People shouldn't feel this way, I've said to myself. This is an immature feeling meant for children, I've thought.

I came to a conclusion quite some time ago - I've always felt lonely, to some degree or another. I carry loneliness with me, wherever I go. I have felt loneliness in a crowd of people. I have felt loneliness so far from home. It's just something that is within me and know I need to learn about, discover the tools to cope when the loneliness feels too dark.

I'm only 100 pages into this book and so much of it makes sense in my life. I am grateful for that. I know I am not alone in my loneliness. I know I need to make some changes. I think everyone should read this. If you suffer from loneliness, it will make complete sense. If you don't, you will get a deeper grasp on the subject.

Loneliness is written by John T. Cacioppo and William Patrick. If you scroll down the page and look to the right, you will see an Amazon.com link under "Currently Enjoying".

2 comments:

Dom King said...

I think people have a tough time admitting those feelings, because a lot of people are frightened of seeming that vulnerable.
Also the stigma that comes from that; the wrong implication that one has no friends.

Me said...

Hi Dom,

You've hit the nail on the head. Nobody likes to be vulnerable and appear to have no friends. Also, I think when you do admit those feelings - people seem so taken aback by the honesty (or vulnerability, whatever it may be) that they just don't know how to react? I don't know ... just a thought. Or else, people are careless jerks? ha ha.

~Linda