14 August 2008

Thursday, I am grateful...


...for finally getting my chance to see my favorite musician of all time - Mr. Leonard Cohen.

Yes, this post has been a long time coming. I saw him in June so it might be old news to some of you. However, I am still grateful for seeing him even after a few months. All I could say is "le sigh"!

Of course, if I could go back in time, I would prefer to have seen Leonard Cohen back in the late 60's or 70's. I ended up getting into Leonard Cohen after his last show in Winnipeg - my guess would be back in 1993. I always said, if ever I get the chance to see him it would have to be in his hometown of Montreal. Who would have thought I would end up living in his hometown! It worked out perfectly.

The night was lovely. It was something else, something magical, to finally hear his voice and see him sing right before my very eyes. It sent shivers across my skin. I didn't care too much for his back-up musicians but the man himself was wonderful! It was a perfect summer night, as well. People were out celebrating the beginnings of the Jazz Fest. He was very humble on stage and you could tell that he was very happy to play in his home city. Outside of the theatre, there were spotlights shining on all the buildings around the venue - one of young Leonard's face, one of him now, and another that had his lyrics written on the wall of the building. It was wonderful. Simply wonderful!

No comments: