02 May 2008

Friday, I am grateful...


...for my famous little fly-trap!

I posted this photo on my Flickr site a while back. This week, I was contacted by a book publisher in Asia. He asked me if he could, by any chance, use this photograph for one of their biology textbooks for children, in both the English and Chinese language. Of course, I said yes!

I'm actually very surprised that he asked permission. I've read many a horror story about peoples Flickr photos being used without permission for advertising or what not. He could have taken my photo and used it - when would I be reading a children's textbook in Asia anyhow? Anyway, I agreed to let them use my photos. I'm not demanding money (nor was any offered, and that's okay). My name gets cited though and if the book is approved, I will get a copy. I'm simply happy that my little photo of my little plant is going to help children learn. Hopefully...I know I doodled a lot in my textbooks when I was young, ha ha.

9 comments:

Mr. Mantia said...

Thats neat, that would make me happy if someone wanted to use a photo or drawing for a book. I fed my plant earwigs & I think that wasn't a good idea, the pods that ate the earwigs rotted away and when I opened them up after cutting them off they still had full earwigs in them. I guess I could just put them out in the yard by where the neighbor cats poo for a couple hours and they will most likely have a fly land on them.

mookxi said...

congrats ! That's so awesome ^^

Brenda said...

Yeah! Another doodler like me! Hey, it helped me pay attention in school ...what's YOUR excuse? :)Anyway, I found your blog through Blog Flux and I like what you're doing here and the overall positive message! I hope Boo-Boo (another post, I know) is doing better. I've got you in my RSS feed now so hope to hear more about him in your continuing life adventures!

Anju said...

That is so awesome! I need to get one of these plants and a pitcher plant and all other insect eating plants - cos I have a fear of insects and they all seem to seek me out!

Anju said...

Wow, that's amazing... I need to get myself one of these plants (and all other insect eating plants) because I have a phobia for flying insects and they all come straight for me!

Julia said...

That's a pretty awesome photo. Congrats!

Mr. Mantia said...

I recently got two different types of Pitcher plants. My flytraps keep getting attacked by little white bugs. I dunk the flytraps underwater for a few days in distilled water to drown the bugs but somehow they keep coming back. Hopefully i have more luck with the pitcher plants.

fruitfulwords said...

Great picture. I've never had such a plant or known anyone with one. Very interesting.
Congrats on the book deal. Maybe by now you've been given a copy of the book?
I love the premise of your blog. It is inspirational. For the month of November I am taking a photo and writing why I'm grateful.

Me said...

Thank you, Fruitful! :) You know, oddly enough, I never did receive a copy of the book and I accidentally deleted the contact's email. Oops! However, he recently contacted me again and mentioned it - so I hope I do receive one.

I'm glad you enjoy this little blog of mine. I slacked off on it and I hope to continue where I left off. I wish you luck on taking a photograph everyday. :)

~Linda