26 April 2008

Saturday, I am grateful...


...for all the good times, all the memories, and for you.

I thought today would be a perfect and bittersweet time to start posting again in this gratitude blog, after all this time off.

My grandmother passed away yesterday evening. Though I could not be there to say goodbye, I know that she knew that she was always in my mind and my heart and in my thoughts. I wish I could have thanked her for all the things she has taught me - how to knit, how to bake bread, how to laugh at things in our very own way, and that it was okay to cry. But I think she knew that I was grateful. I have so many good memories of her. What a strong and lovely woman she was.

And I think this little blog of mine taught me a thing or two as well. It's taught me to dwell not on the negative things but, rather, focus more on the positive things. That has always been a challenge for me.

I am left with good memories. I am grateful she did not suffer too much. I hope to be strong for my mother, even though I am far away.

Do all the things you want to do while you are young and able. That's what she told me the last time I went home. I will and you'll be missed.

2 comments:

katie said...

Linda -
I am so sorry for your loss. Your post is a lovely tribute to your grandmother. It made me think of my two, who are hopefully chatting with yours (over chocolate cake and/or a gin and tonic)up in heaven somewhere. It has been over twenty years since I had either grandma in my "real" life, but they have never left me.

Take care of yourself, take care of your doggie (so cute!) and keep listening to Tiny Tim! I love that comment and completely understand about the short bangs and automatic assumption that you like rockabilly. I got that too when I tried to carry off that hair cut (all six times -- oh how I wish I could have done it!)

katie

Me said...

Katie,
Thank you for your kind words! I can totally see my grandmother up there, having a gin or walking through some beautiful fields. I'm not sure if I believe in heaven and all that stuff, but it's a nice image in my head nonetheless. Hopefully, walking along side my uncle (her son) who would be telling her a horribly funny joke to make her laugh. :)

I know people dis(s?) Tiny Tim...but he makes me laugh. And I will not stop listening to him, haha. It clears the room but I still won't let that stop me!

Take care,
LINDA