08 August 2007

Wednesday, I am grateful...


...for cruising nights in old hot rods in Winnipeg!

One of the things I always look forward to when I go home is cruising nights in Winnipeg. Winnipeg has a small but thriving hot rod and old car club scene. Actually, I would say that people are more enthusiastic about their old cars back home than in Montreal. You can go for a drive in the city and never fail to see an old car driving down the street. In the summer, there are regular joints to hook up with other car owners and people like me who simply appreciate a good hot rod (heh) - Sunday is the big meet-up, if you will, at a huge parking lot. Tons of cars show up. As well, every Wednesday night downtown at the Pony Corral restaurant. They block off a few sections of street so that the old cars can park, there is a band playing, and you can just walk around and enjoy people and cars. It's a nice little treat and something to do.

On the ninth day of my holiday, I did just that. Greg picked me up in his 1953 Meteor. I was looking forward to taking a lot of photographs that night, of his old car and of others. As I mentioned in previous blog entries, the humidity was something fierce in Winnipeg. Well, it finally broke (unlike Montreal's humidity). Within ten minutes of Greg picking me up, there was an "apocalyptic rainstorm", as Greg attempted to say. The sky was green and funky, you could barely see in front of you, and the streets were like lakes in a matter of moments. It was actually kind of frightening as there seems to be more tornado activity in Manitoba nowadays. It eventually weakened and I was grateful that the humidity broke, once and for all.

Unfortunately, the rain drove all the hotrodders away. We still had a fun time in the restaurant! A bunch of us showed up, we had a lovely dinner, and laughed a lot of laughs. I have no idea what I was saying in that third photo - Greg and Rachel seem amused!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast! Wanna go for a ride to the orange Julep some Wednesday night?

Me said...

Depends on who you are, Mr. Anonymous!

:P Linda