11 July 2007

Wednesday, I am grateful...


...for seeing old friends in less than a week! As well, for having fond memories of back-in-the-day when we used to go out to our favorite haunt where we would drink a little and dance a lot. This photo was not taken by me but with my camera. I'm on the left and I must have been about 20-ish. I have no idea why there are spots all over this photo but my friend (the boy who looks like Robert Smith) scanned it for me a while back. We would often go over to his place for a drink or two before heading out to the bar.

I miss going to our favorite haunt called Die Maschine. We used to go at least once a week, if not more. Wednesday night was goth night, Thursday was swing/lounge upstairs and 80's on the main floor, Friday night was "alternative" night, and Saturdays was Brit-Pop. We had a blast at this bar. We met tons of people (my sister met her husband there) and danced our asses off. Most of my early to mid-twenties were spent at this bar. The weekend before I moved, I spent at Die Maschine with a bunch of old friends. True, going there is not the same. We're all older now, life has calmed us down with responsibilities. I'll always remember those good old days.

Yesterday, I heard that Die Maschine and The Royal Albert (which is this very, very old hotel that once housed royalty and is the premier venue for punk/"alternative" bands to play) were sold. It's sad news, especially for the Albert. Die Maschine will soon be an American Apparel store and The Albert might become an upscale boutique/condo/hotel (uh, there have been murders there and the rooms are scary, trust me!). I know we all grow up and move on but it kind of saddens me to know that I am, haha. We've become old enough to say, "we used to go to Die Maschine" and fondly think back while all the young people will have no idea what the heck we're talking about!

"Let's all meet up in the year 2000, won't it be strange when we're all growing old..."


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you Google "365 days of gratitude" your blog is the first site to come up! This might seem obvious but this is actually new. Didn't used to be like that when you started it. I don't think it was even on the first page....so all this in the spirit of days gone by.

P.S. Guys in makeup is just creepy.
P.P.S Well, if he's not on stage that is.

Me said...

Aw, yay! I didn't know that but it's cool! :)

I'm sure I'd get more hits if it was "365 days of Boobs" but that's not really the crowd I'm aiming for, hahaha.

Yeah...creepy, indeed.

~Linda