17 June 2007

Sunday, I am grateful...


...for my father.

Obviously, this is not a photograph of my father. However, these are his tubes. They remind me of him. You see, he was the last of the small business repairman in the city he worked in. Just a few weeks ago, he retired as his 80 year old boss closed up shop for good. When I was a child, I was surrounded by tubes and transistors and torn apart electronics ready to be fixed. I used to hang around his shop in the basement, pretending to help fix old radios and television sets with my dad. One of the most fun times was when he would let me test the tubes with this funky looking machine that looked rather robotic. All the fancy toys in the world were nothing compared to sitting on the floor and testing tubes with my dad even though I'm certain now that I did not help much at all!

I love my dad and I miss being away from him - his terrible Ukrainian-Dad jokes, his quiet behavior, his curiosity about aliens and UFOs, and making him rub the cat's belly for good luck at bingo (and yes, it did work last summer - he won!).

Happy Father's Day to all those dads out there!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: