23 March 2007

Friday, I am grateful...


...for the telephone that connects me with my friends and family back home. When I first moved to Montreal, I did not know a single person other than my partner. Every voice I heard was a new voice. I did not know the language. I did not run into all the familiar strangers I knew back home. I no longer could call a friend up in the wee hours of the night and invite her to our local small-town coffee shop. My life changed and all I had was the telephone to help me stay in touch with back home. Sure, we live in the day and age of e-mails and instant messenger but hearing an honest voice and silly laughter is different and better. You can’t sum up your feelings and happiness in an emoticon.

There are weeks where my phone does not ring at all. Those are the times I fear that life is going on without me, back home. Then from out of nowhere, a friend from back home will call. And a big smile will dance all over my face.

(On a side note, I really love old telephones. I don’t like these new ones with flashy buttons and rounded off corners. I love a good, old-fashioned, unique looking telephone. If anyone wants to buy me a 40’s style “monster” phone (retro or repro) - you’d make me a very happy girl.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

10things said...

Hi Linda,
So nice to see a like-minded blogger. Congrats on keeping up well with your project so far; it's a great read.

Take care,
Janelle

Linda said...

Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoy!

Sometimes, it's a bit hard to come up with things...especially if I'm having a day where everything is going wrong. I find the more you think about what you makes you smile, the easier it is to notice. :)

Take care,
Linda