22 February 2007

Thursday, I am grateful...


...for seeing a big smile or two first thing in the morning. When I lived back home, I worked in the downtown core. Once you work and play in an area long enough, the other people who work and play will recognize you. One day, you will receive a knowing nod. The next, a smile. Eventually, you will find yourself with a hello-how-are-you-today. And before you know it, you are chatting it up with them over bad coffee on your lunch break. I liked that routine. When I moved here, my routine of morning smiles and how-are-yous was erased. When I became familiar in my surroundings, I did not see the sense of familiarity and friendship as I did back home. I missed the smiles from these people that I saw everyday, even if I didn't even know their names.

The last few mornings, I have received smiles (and even a hello!) from perfect strangers. And it may sound silly but it made me feel just a little happier in my normal, little life.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I love the idea of this - like the Secret.
C
http://journals.aol.com/rapieress/Aweekinthelife/

Linda said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like! I hope you come back and visit! :)